We tend to get the same question on a daily basis, “What can I do to help?”. We have constructed this guide specifically for you in mind! Below are ten tips to be a better animal advocate for our oceans:
1) Utilize social media! Teach yourself how to use Facebook and Twitter. There are many great videos and how-to’s on the Internet. We highly recommend this video for Twitter and these written instructions for Facebook.
2) Read as many articles and books as possible. If you see us post an article on our Facebook page you should take the time to read it; we post these articles to further educate you on important issues.
3) Read petitions before you sign them. We say this to ensure that you know exactly what you are backing when you sign it. More times than not people don’t actually read the petitions wording and end up supporting something that they actually don’t agree with.
4) Respond to a call to action! If you are unable to fax or call then email or pass on the information to someone who can. The more people that respond and take action the bigger the impact we will have.
5) Share information on social media! Once you’ve figured out the basics of Facebook and Twitter, we strongly suggest “sharing” articles, books, movies and images on a regular basis. In doing so you are spreading the word to other people.
6) Wear t-shirts related to your cause when you are going to be “out and about”. You may garner some attention or you may lead someone to decide to educate themselves further! We can’t help but suggest a Fins and Fluke, Occupy Marineland, Sea Shepherd or Save Japan Dolphins t-shirt!
7) Talk to your friends and family about the causes that are most important to you. This goes hand in hand with reading the most recent articles and studies so you know exactly what you are talking about.
8) Write a blog! Even if it’s just about your thoughts on Taiji or global warming, you are still doing your part. If we can all come together and support each other for the oceans it’s worth it in the end. If you have an article or blog post you’d like us to repost please send it to our email or Facebook page!
9) Volunteer for an organization you respect. All around the world there are opportunities to get involved whether you are in a landlocked state or out on open water. We recommend getting involved in any shape or form and lending your spare time to something you care about. If you can’t volunteer we highly suggest donating even a small amount to an organization the you support.
10) Finally, keep up the great work! We are impressed and inspired by people who care and who continue to strive to improve the earth we live on. In reading these tips it’s apparent that you have compassion for our oceans and we appreciate you!