As a new organization we are keen to set goals for ourselves in the new year. We have decided to write a list of new years resolutions for 2013; these are all things we wish to achieve realistically. All of these points are in no particular order, we deem them to all be important and hope to resolve each one.
- A member from our team, Paige Nelson, will be present for the Marineland opening day protest. We will continue to “cover” MarineLand and the ex-trainers who have bravely spoken out about the neglect to the marine mammals presently living at this facility.
- Continued pressure on Yahoo to stop the sale of Whale meat on their website. You can find an important petition here. Additionally we will be starting an email campaign on this in the near future.
- We are going to continue to promote this petition to APHIS & the USDA to reinstate the swim-with-dolphin-program regulations. We believe in protecting the dolphins, even if they are forced to be in captivity (something we obviously wish to change in time).
- We are hoping to raise enough funding for the first Marine Sanctuary in Europe for baby Marco’s the dolphin. You can find more info about this here.
- The pressure will be kept on IMATA & WAZA for the sake of the dolphins in Taiji. Another important petition to take action right now can be found here.
- Keep your eyes peeled for more information pertaining to the application to de-list the Southern Resident Killer Whales. There will be talking points available and instructions on how to make a public-comment.
- We will continue the good fight for better Manta Ray protections world-wide. We are hoping to have some events pertaining to this in the future.
- We will keep the pressure on Resorts World Sentosa regarding their 24 wild-caught dolphins. The goal is to have them all released back into the wild. An event to send an email to the resort is here.
- We would like to see a world-wide ban on Shark Finning. We will be hosting several events nation-wide throughout the year calling for a ban on the sale of Shark fin soup. Keep your eyes peeled on our facebook page for those.
- Lastly, we will continue to support other organizations that share the same common goals as us. We hope to partner with a few very important organizations in the future to cover as much ground as possible.
The list may seem long and daunting, but we are a group of passionate, hard-working and dedicated individuals to our cause. Keep your eyes peeled, 2013 is going to be a good year for our oceans!